Pharmaceutical Company in South Wales
A long-established and expanding pharmaceutical company in South Wales had brand new premises designed and built to suit their ongoing needs. Having had a long-standing relationship with Wychwood Water Systems as a purified water system supplier and maintenance support provider, they invited Wychwood Water Systems to site to discuss the new requirement.
The requirement was for high grade purified water systems for the new laboratories with multiple metered points-of-use. Having viewed the application and discussed the options, the solution offered by Wychwood Water Systems Ltd consisted of three separate centralised purified water systems. This offer was made on the basis that ongoing maintenance & consumable costs would be minimised whilst also providing a robust user-friendly system.
The three were essentially from the same process design with the only difference being capacity and the size of the distribution purified water ring mains, with the following key design features:
- To separate the three systems from the water supply, Raw Water Break Tankswere installed with low feedwater cut-off.
- Automatic Raw Water Pumpswere installed to provide reliable system flow, pressure and energy-saving operation.
- Because of the nature of S. Wales feedwater, FILTERMAT AC1 Backwashing Activated Carbon Unitswere installed to provide organic and free chlorine removal for the supply to the RO units.
- To provide reliable feedwater hardness reduction, efficient meter-controlled Water Softenerswere installed.
- LABSTAR high rejection Reverse Osmosis Unitswere specified to provide 99% total dissolved solids reduction with 70% of the feedwater recovered as purified water.
- Dedicated Reverse Osmosispermeate points-of-use provided with Online Conductivity Monitoring on the LABSTAR units
- From the sealed purified water tanks, the purified water is distributed through the purified water ring mains to the operator points-of-use by Stainless Steel Recirculation Pumps.
- The purified water is further polished and sterilised by Nuclear Grade Deionising systems, 254nm Ultraviolet Sterilisersand 2micron absolute rated Membrane Filters.
- A key feature of these purified water systems is the Metering at the Points-Of-Use. Because of the multi-operational activities of the laboratory staff, the requirement was to meter specific volumes of purified water to any given point-of-use with the ability at any time to override operation.